Bonemass is a large sludge look-alike monster and the third boss in Valheim. He is one of the hardest bosses to beat among the current bosses Valheim. To summon Bonemass you need to gather Withered Bones. Withered Bones can be found in Muddy Scrap Piles or crawling the Sunken Crypts dungeon in Swamp biome. You need to collect and keep 10 Withered Bones at the skull altar in the swamp to summon Bonemass. Let’s look at how to beat the Bonemass in Valheim.
Tips to Defeat Bonemass in Valheim
Bonemass is highly resistant to ranged weapons like arrows. Bonemass can summon more slimes, skeletons, and draugr to assist him and attack you. One of his main attacks is to throw poison smoke at you. You can pass through it but avoid staying in the poison as this will kill you.
Besides all this, he is very vulnerable to weapons dealing blunt damage like Iron Mace, so do mine Iron before the boss battle if possible.
So here’s how to defeat Bonemass in Valheim:
- Avoid starting the battle in solo mode, as he’s very hard to beat.
- Do not bring ranged weapons like arrows to the boss battle.
- Make sure your party carrying Iron Mace, Wooden Club, and Stagbreaker while starting the boss battle.
- Use the Iron Sledgehammer, if you crafted it by purchasing Ymir flesh from Haldor.
- Only use bow and arrow to stop Bonemass regenerating his health.
- Bow and arrow are highly unproductive in dealing with damage against Bonemass.
- Fully upgraded Wooden Club deals more damage than arrows.
- Bring poison resistance mead. Carry more than one if you don’t have an Iron Mace.
How to Beat the Bonemass in Valheim
Keeping all the tips from above, here’s how to defeat Bonemass in Valheim:
As Blunt damage is highly efficient against Bonemass, the best weapons to bring to battle are Iron Mace, Wooden club, and Stagbreaker. Do not use arrows to chip away his health, as this is not efficient enough. Even an upgraded Wooden club is far better, than using arrows with iron heads. The best use of arrow is to shoot it to make the boss stop his health regeneration. Use Stagbreaker for the skeletons and slimes, which the boss summon
If you have already unlocked and crafted an Iron pickaxe, go to Mountain biomes and mine obsidian. Obsidian can be used to make Frost arrows. Use these Frost arrows against the Bonemass to attack it from far. This makes Frost arrow the best choice as the ranged weapon for this boss battle.
As mentioned above, once you start attacking with blunt weapons Bone mass will use poisonous smoke against you. So bring poison resistance meads. Even though you can walk through the poison, staying long enough will deal heavy damage to your health. It’s recommended for everyone in the attacking party to bring at least 4-5 meads if you don’t have Iron Mace.
If your health is too low, move a bit away from the attacking team and wait till you heal back to enough health to continue attacking Bonemass. Doing all this correctly will defeat Bonemass. Once defeated, Bonemass will drop a Wishbone. This Wishbone can be used to find silver ores and treasures.
That’s everything you need to know about how to beat the Bonemass and get Wishbone in Valheim. While you are here check out more of our Valheim guides to find out more on crafting, mining, and also many more secrets in game, like:
- How To Teleport In Valheim With Portals
- Where To Get Core Wood
- How To Get Feathers
- Valheim Birch Trees And Fine Wood
- Where To find Surtling Cores
- How To Plant Seeds, Trees And Harvest Crops
For more details do not forget to visit our Valheim Wiki Guide for cheats, boss fights, rare resource locations, etc.