Exploring the wilderness of Valheim for food can be dangerous the further you go away from the center of the map. The best option is to start to build farms for a sustainable and steady food supply. It might look simple – sow seeds, wait for them to grow, then reap. But building a farm is not a straightforward process in Valheim. Most of the players who have Valheim seeds don’t know how to go about it. So let’s look at how to plant seeds in Valheim. Also learn how to sow seeds, plant trees & harvest crops.
How to Plant Seeds and Trees in Valheim?
To plant all kinds of seeds including trees in Valheim you need to craft a Cultivator. To make a Cultivator you need to build a Forge first.
If you need to understand more about any of this, we will explain it in detail here.
What is Valheim Forge?
Forge in Valheim is used to craft furniture, bronze weapons, and metal tools. It must be built in an enclosed area with walls and a roof.
How to Build a Forge in Valheim?
- Unlock and build a Smelter.
- Use Smelter to craft copper from copper ore. You also need coal for the Smelter.
- Craft 6 pieces of copper.
- Or you can collect copper as large rock formations from the Black Forest.
- Also collect 4x stone, 4x coal, 10x wood along 6x copper.
- Equip Hammer from your inventory.
- Open the Crafting menu by pressing the F button.
- Select Forge from the menu by using Q/E to navigate in the menu.
- Place down the Forge by clicking the left button on the mouse.
- To build and use Forge you will need to place it near a Workbench.
What Is Valheim Cultivator for Farming?
The Cultivator in Valheim is a farming tool for tilling the soil to sow all plant seeds and tree seeds. The Cultivator is as important for farming as much the hammer for building. In the Forge, you can combine 2 copper and 1 tin to make bronze. This will unlock the Cultivator for you.
It has different menu functionalities:
- Cultivate: Prepare the ground to plant seeds.
- Grass: Cover ground with grass patches.
- Carrot: Plant carrots by using 1 carrot seed.
- Carrot Seed: Plant carrot seeds by using 1 carrot.
- Plant Trees: You can plant trees using tree seeds. But you can only plant 3 different types of trees.
How to Craft Cultivator Using Forge?
- Open the Forge crafting menu.
- Here you have two tabs to either craft or upgrade both bronze tools and weapons.
- Make sure the Cultivator is unlocked for you by making Bronze first.
- Once unlocked you can combine 5 Bronze and 5 Core Wood to craft Cultivator.
How to Plant Seeds & Harvest Crops in Valheim using Cultivator?
- Equip the Cultivator and right-click to open the Cultivator Menu.
- Select “Cultivate” among other options.
- Click on the ground to start tilling soil.
- Once done, again open Cultivator.
- Select seeds that you want to plant.
- Sow seeds on the tilled soil.
- Plants need space to grow, so keep the distance between each seed. Or else they may not grow.
- Wait for few days before harvesting.
- Once they are ready, walk towards them and harvest crops in Valheim.
That’s everything you need to know about how to plant seeds and plant trees in Valheim. While you’re here check out our other Valheim guides. For more details do not forget to visit our Valheim Wiki Guide for cheats, boss fights, rare resource locations, etc.