Starfield players can go to Jail if they get caught committing a crime and fail to make an escape. While it does sound bad, the repercussions are not that high and if you are grinding hard in the game, they will sound mid at best. So far we have noticed that the jail time you get is somewhat directly related to the bounty on your head. If you commit a crime and people take notice of your character doing so, you will get a bounty on your head in that region. In this guide, we will explain how the Jail system works in the game.
What Happens When You Go to Jail in Starfield?
If you end up getting arrested and go to Jail in Starfield, you will have to relinquish all your stolen goods and it will deduct a certain amount of XP. Yes, it does not sound bad however, the number of days you will be in the Starfield prison is directly related to the bounty on your head. For 500 Credit bounty, you can end up in prison for 5 days and the XP worth for those days. It’s worth noting that your XP won’t go below zero and you won’t be losing any levels.
Although it’s not much, losing XP means you will have to get back to farming XP and loot once more. If you are good at boarding and looting enemy ships, you will definitely benefit from knowing how to find enemy ships. Having said that, there are a few ways to avoid jail altogether that you should know about.
How to Avoid Going to Prison in Starfield
Since having a bounty in one region does not amount to having troubles in another, players can plot their escape to another system in order to avoid going to prison. Having said that, there are a few other ways to avoid jail time in Starfield that we have listed below:
- The first and most obvious choice is to fight the Security Guards. However, if you are on Neon or New Atlantis, this is not recommendable since there are a ton of security that keeps popping up.
- In specific regions like Neon, players can Bribe the officers. Apart from Neon, there are a few other systems that will have the option. While bribery is expensive, you get to keep the stolen goods so make sure you have enough Credits on hand.
- If you want to avoid Jail time in Starfield, you can simply relinquish the stolen goods, pay the fine (your bounty), and get out of there.
- Having a Shielded Cargo might help you get through the scans without your Contraband getting caught. If you don’t have a bounty yet but are carrying stolen goods, this is your best option.
- The Persuasion trait might help players to persuade the security guards into taking a bribe even if the system does not allow to do so. However, the chances of this being successful are lower so you might want to try out the other ones.
That’s all we have on the Jail System in Starfield and how it works. If you found this guide helpful, do check out our other Starfield guides while you are here at Gamer Tweak. You might want to check out the cheats and console commands and how to Mod Weapon since Bethesda allows cheat codes and modding of the game.