Returnal is a highly anticipated game that is epic, intense and super challenging. Once you get into the game, it will engulf you into its universe but if you are unlucky, you will get the Error Code CE-108255-1 and Returnal will crash on PS5. How to fix this crashing issue and continue playing the game? Here’s what you need to know.
How to Fix Returnal Crashing on PS5?
PS5 players who are getting the Error Code CE-108255-1 are getting increasingly frustrated because the game is crashing and there’s no option to save and exit manually. This error could pop up anytime during the game – after cutscenes, levels etc. Players are sharing their experience with Returnal crashes on social media and Reddit.
Here’s how to fix Returnal PS5 Error Code CE-108255-1:
- Reset the console.
- Update System Software and ensure you have the game’s latest version.
- Rebuild your console’s database.
Reset the Console
The first thing to try is reset the console and you can do it via Settings > System > System Software and that’s where you will find the option to Reset PS5. But as you know, resetting the PS5 means you have to keep the games and app data properly backed up.
Update System Software
Another thing you need to ensure is that your system software is up-to-date and you have the newest game version. If it’s possible, you can also uninstall the game and get a fresh download but do this as a last resort.
Rebuild the Database to Fix Returnal Crashing On PS5
One thing you should focus on is Rebuilding the Database of the console while also keeping your games and apps. For this, you need to start your PS5 in Safe Mode first. Follow these steps:
- Turn off the PS5 by pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds.
- You will have to wait until the power indicator blinks and then shuts off.
- Then press and hold the power button and release upon hearing the second beep that will come seven seconds later.
- This is how your PS5 will boot in Safe Mode.
- Then, connect your controller using the USB cable and then press the PS button on it.
- From the options you see, choose to Rebuild Database and wait until it is done.
Note that it’s best to back up your data to a USB drive or Cloud Storage before attempting this as well. If nothing else works, wait until the developers push out a new patch that may fix this issue.
UPDATE: The developers have acknowledged this crashing issue and have said that there’s an issue in the platform and not Returnal game. They have informed Sony and are waiting for this problem to get resolved in the upcoming PS5 firmware update.
That’s all about how to fix Returnal Crashing on PS5 and solve the Error Code CE-108255-1. Once you are back to the game, don’t miss out on our Returnal Survival guide, how to heal yourself and how to farm Ether which is a very valuable resource.