Like most games, one of the most important features is the ability to respec your Character to Companions in Baldur’s Gate 3. It is very easy to level up wrong talents or some abilities that you didn’t exactly want. But being unable to go back on these decisions can make the game very punishing. Thankfully though, this isn’t the case here. You can not only change the custom character you made but also the origin characters/your companions. So here is the NPC you need to unlock to respec characters in BG3.
How to Respec Character or Companions in Baldur’s Gate 3
To respec your companions, you need to unlock the NPC Withers and spend 100 gold. You can find him at the Dank Crypt which you can interestingly access almost immediately after you progress the game a bit. Here is how you unlock Withers and respec:
- After the Nautiloid crashes you will land on the Ravaged beach.
- During exploration you should find the Ancient door near the coordinates X: 284 and Y:300. Sadly, you cannot open this door, from this side.
- Go around the ship and reach Roadside Cliffs.
- Recruit Gale while here on your journey then continue east.
- You should now reach Chapel Entrance.
- Behind the statue climb up the stairs on the right.
- Shoot the crate on the crane to open an entrance below by making a hole in the ground.
- Jump down and you will reach Refectory.
- Explore the dungeon and reach the Dank Crypt.
- Reach the coordinates X: 300 and Y: 234 and press the Button.
- Clear the enemies then go inside the room and open the Richly Adorned Sarcophagus.
- You will now meet Withers, talk to him and he will go to the campsite.
- Exit the dungeon and go to the camp.
- You should find Withers near a rowboat.
- After the conversation you can you will learn about his ability to respec.
- Now, select your character or your companion that you wish to respec and talk to him. Pay him 100 gold and you will be able to modify them to your liking.
Here you get to change your Class, Subclass, Abilities, and some other attributes depending on your existing or new class. You can do this repeatedly and at any level so there isn’t any harm as such to it.
Do note that if this is your first playthrough then it is not recommended you respec your companions. This is because changing their class affects their lore and by doing so you will lose out on their unique dialogues.
That’s all you need to know about how to respec companions in Baldur’s Gate 3. If you are looking for help on similar topics then also check out how to steal, add Halsin to your party, and how cantrips & spells work.