Many Starfield players can’t dock enemy ships or space stations. This is bad because not being able to board ships prevents you from looting and selling them. The mechanic in itself is pretty simple but is easy to miss as the game doesn’t exactly tell you what to do. It is also possible that there is a bug causing it. So here is what you should do when you are unable to dock.
How to Fix Can’t Dock Ships in Starfield
Make sure you are targeting the ship that you want to dock to get the option. Just getting close to the ship or a station isn’t enough. This is a general fix as it is an easy step to overlook, so here is what you do:
- Start by flying and getting within 500 meters of the ship or station that you want to dock.
- Move your reticle and target them.
- You should now get the option to dock or hail.
- Press the R-key on your keyboard and the A button on the controller to successfully dock.
A cutscene will now play connecting your ship’s airlock to the target, You will now get three options Board, Undock, and Get Up. If this doesn’t work then here are the other things that you can try:
- Check the enemy ship: Not every ship can be docked. So if you are unable to dock one it is probably because they lack the docking module, which is why there is no way for your ship’s airlock to connect to their ship.
- Save the game and restart: There is a chance the game may have bugged out. Save and restart the game. Try docking now and you should be able to board the enemy ships.
- Verify File Integrity: You could be getting this problem due to some corrupt game files. Use Steam to scan and check all files. Restart the game and it shouldn’t give you trouble now.
- Wait for updates: If you still can’t dock then using the above method there is a good chance the game has some bugs. Check for updates to see if some patch is out to fix it. If there is then update your game and you shouldn’t get this error anymore.
That’s it on how you can fix the can’t dock error in Starfield. For more on this game be sure to check our guides on delivering cappuccino to Donna Rain, how to persuade, and if you can kill companions.