Word games are forever going to be my favorite type of games to play on my phone. Easy or challenging, I will play them all and they are never going to go obsolete. One such viral game that you may have seen on social media, especially Twitter, is Wordle, but what is it and how to play it? Here’s all you need to know.
What is Wordle and why is it Viral on Twitter?
Wordle is a word-guessing game that you can play online via your browser. You need to guess the answer within 6 attempts. The word is the same for everyone but it changes daily. Due to this concept and the fact that the word is the same for all, there’s a bit of a competitive feeling that has been generated among people. This has led to this game going viral.
- If a letter from your guessed word is in the CORRECT spot of the actual word, it will show up in GREEN.
- If the letter exists in the word, but if it’s NOT in the right spot, it will be marked in YELLOW.
- And if the letter is NOT present in the actual word at all, you will see it in GREY.
How to Play Wordle?
- Head to the official website here.
- First, type any 5 letter word in the first row. It has to be a random guess because there are no clues like you have in crossword.
- In this example, I wrote ALGAE. G is in the right slot, whereas E is in the word but in the wrong spot. A and L do not exist in the word.
- Next, I attempted RAGER. I know, A isn’t in the word and I should have eliminated it, but from this, I found that G E R are in the right spots.
- Now, the word that came to mind with GER was TIGER. And that was it – the answer is TIGER.
- It’s all about keeping the correct letter in its spot and thinking around it.
- Move around the other letters which exist in the word but aren’t in the right spot and make a new attempt.
- Eliminate the letters that are greyed out.
And that’s all there is to it. It’s a simple online word game with a nice concept that makes you think and challenge yourself. You can ask everyone in the office or at school to play and find out who has the bragging rights to guess the word in fewer attempts.
There’s also a HARD MODE, where any revealed hints HAVE to be used in subsequent guesses. Moreover, there’s a Color Blind Mode and Dark Theme that you can toggle on and off as well.
Also Read | Best Starter Words for Wordle
When does Wordle Reset?
Wait until after midnight in your local timezone and you shall have a new puzzle to solve!
How to Play Old Games?
If you’re wondering if you can solve the previous Wordle, then unfortunately, you cannot. Some have tried to, by changing the date and time of the device, but there are caveats.
How to Share on Twitter and Facebook?
If you want to tell the world that you’ve figured out the answer in the fewest attempts, you can share the result ‘grid’ on Twitter without spoiling the solution for others.
- Once you have completed the daily word puzzle, a pop-up will appear with a SHARE button on it.
- Click on it and the results will get copied to the clipboard.
- Now all you have to do is head to Twitter (or any other social media site), create a post, and paste the items (Ctrl + V) that are copied to the clipboard.
- Voila! You have successfully shared the results with your followers.