Among the different annoying bugs, players need an immediate fix for the failed to save game error 516 in Baldur’s Gate 3. As the problem describes itself, you get this error when trying to save a game. Imagine playing for 4 hours, making some good progression, and then being unable to save. This situation is many players’ reality. Weirdly enough the reason for this bug is pretty simple, it occurs due to lack of space on your save directory. So when you can’t create a new save file, it is understandable you get errors when saving game. But there are a few things you can do to solve this problem, so here is how to fix the error 516 in BG3.
How to Fix Failed to Save Game in Baldur’s Gate 3 (Error Code 516)
You get Error 516 when you don’t have enough space to create new save files. The best way to fix it is by clearing space so that you can make new saves. Another thing that seems to be working is to change the root directory of your save files. This method seems to work for Ruzihm on Steam Community. Thanks to them for sharing this fix, you can check out their solution in the thread here. Here is how both fixes work:
- Clear Space: Typically for most users the game saves should be on C drive, specifically at the following location:
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur’s Gate 3
- So since it is in C drive make sure you have ample space here for any new saves you create from now.
- In case you don’t want to clean your C Drive. Then you can also delete your older saves that you no longer plan on reloading from. Restart the game and now try saving.
- Change Save Location: If you can’t free up space on your C Drive but have additional drives on your system where there is space, then you can easily move the save Directory. For example, if you wish to move it to:
- D:\Larian Studios\BG3\New Save Location
- Then while as admin, run the following command in command prompt:
- mklink /d “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur’s Gate 3” “D:\Larian Studios\BG3\New Save Location”
Using the above fixes you should no longer get the failed to save game error 516 in Baldur’s Gate 3. If you are interested in more topics for this game then don’t hesitate to head over to our BG3 section.