In Baldur’s Gate 3, many players can’t change the gender of their character and need a fix. This can be a very annoying bug because your character heavily impacts how you enjoy the game. So not being able to alter their appearance has to be frustrating. In a usual playthrough, you can edit your character when you start a New Game. During character creation, you can choose Custom in place of origin characters. From there, you get to change their race and can change their appearance and voice. But if the above feature doesn’t happen to work for you, then here is how you can fix the gender won’t change bug in BG3.
How to Fix Can’t Change Gender in Baldur’s Gate 3
There is no official way to fix this bug, but there are a few workarounds to change your character’s appearance. We’ll check them in a bit, but here are some things you can do to fix the bug:
- Disable Mods: Whenever the game releases a new patch there is a chance some mods malfunction. Either the mods will not work or the game will not work as intended. So disable the mods and try customizing your character. If you can make a new character of the gender of your preference then you can try removing the mods completely. Or reinstalling them after you are all set with your new character.
- Verify File Integrity of BG3: Corrupt game files can also be the reason you may get this issue. Use Steam to verify your game files. After it is done scanning them, it will replace any of the ones that are faulty. Now restart Steam and the game and see if you can change the gender of your character.
- Reinstall the game: Completely remove all game files and mods from your system. Now install it again and try playing to see if you still get the error.
Workarounds to Change Character’s Gender in BG3
- Use Mask of the Shapeshifter: This is a feature for players that got the Deluxe Edition of the game. After escaping Nautiloid and reaching the beach. Click on the Go To Camp button. Go towards Shadowheart’s tent and open the chest. From it you will get the Mask of the Shapeshifter. Use it and you can shapeshift to the preset of character options it gives you. This won’t exactly let you customize your character but you will be able to disguise and change to the gender & race of your choice. At least till the disguise is active.
- Use Origin Characters: The last option that you have left is to play as one of the Origin characters that are there for you to choose from, from the start. Again this isn’t exactly customizing your character’s gender and looks. But you still might get a somewhat closer experience to what you thought of.
Aside from the above methods the only other thing you can do is wait for Larian Studios to release an update and patch this issue.
That’s all you can do to fix the unable to change gender in Baldur’s Gate 3 bug. Since you are facing bugs you should also check out how to fix the Adamantine Forge Stuck. As for help on other such topics head over to our BG3 section.