GoW Ragnarok: How To Defeat Thor (Boss Guide)
Thor is the second boss that you need to beat in order to progress the story of God of War Ragnarok. He isn’t going to go easy with his attacks considering what Kratos did to his sons in the previous game. Thankfully, once you know the moves he uses in the fight beating him won’t be hard. So in this guide check out how to defeat Thor in God of War Ragnarok.
How to Beat Thor in God of War Ragnarok
You can beat Thor by chipping away his health, parrying and dodging his attacks will allow you to land your attacks on him more frequently. This fight has three phases where Thor progressively starts using more moves with each phase. In the first phase, you fight using only your fists. And in the remaining two phases you get to use your Leviathan Axe. After this fight, you can unlock your Blades of Chaos.
Here is the breakdown of each phase and the moves he uses in each of them:
During his first phase, Thor mostly toys with Kratos and doesn’t do many fancy attacks. He will use the following moves:
- Grab Attack: You can notice this attack by red or yellow rings. Dodge the attacks that have red rings. For the yellow ones you can press the L1 button at the last second to parry. This will also give you room to hit more moves. If Thor does manage to grab you he will throw you causing you to lose a decent chunk of health.
- Clap Shockwave: Thor will clap and launch a shockwave in the direction of Kratos. Evade the attack in time to dodge it.
Fill up the white bar below his health to deal a lot of damage to him, this will also chip away his yellow health bar faster. During the last bar of his yellow health, a cutscene plays and you enter the second stage of his fight.
During his second phase, Thor uses all of his attacks from the first phase but also starts using his hammer Mjolnir.
- Mjolnir strikes: Thor will swing Mjolnir and try to attack you. You can block all of these attacks with his shield.
- Hammer Throw: Thor throws his hammer at Kratos. You can dodge this attack by evading it on time.
- Ground energy attack: This attack is similar to his Hammer throw. Just this time Thor makes his hammer release energy from the ground and directs it at Kratos. You can dodge this attack by evading it.
While fighting, Thor will kill you and then also revive you saying the fight ends when he says the two are done. Once revived continue attacking him and chipping his health away and this will start the third phase of the fight.
Phase 3 – Defeat Thor in God of War Ragnarok
Thor will now use all moves from the previous two phases with one new move.
- Lightning strikes: Thor charges his hammer and smacks it on the ground multiple times. You can see red circles on the ground. Get outside these circles as lightning strikes in them. If Kratos gets caught he will be stunned.
The rest of the fight is the same as the above two phases, keep chipping his health away and you will beat him in no time.
That covers this guide on how to defeat Thor in God of War Ragnarok. The fights will only get harder form here, so I suggest you start upgrading your weapons and armor. If you need help with more Boss guides and everything else on this game then be sure to check out our GoW Ragnarok Wiki.