Players who are getting the Valheim Incompatible Version error are unable to join a game with friends. Now, playing with friends is one of the best ways to experience this game so how to fix this issue? What is the reason behind this error? Keep reading to know more about this problem and how to update your Valheim game server as well.
How to Fix Valheim Incompatible Version Error
The meaning of this particular error is that the client and the server versions of the game are different, hence incompatible. So, to fix the Valheim Incompatible Version error, you have to make sure that both versions are up-to-date and same.
Valheim on PC is a Steam game and updating games on it manually is simple.
- Open up Steam.
- Find Valheim in your Library.
- Right click and head to Properties.
- Select Updates.
- Get the updates to download.
You can also check if automatic updates are selected because that is how the game version will stay updated on its own.
How to Update Game Server
Once you have got the current game version (that is, the client), you have to ensure that your Game server is also updated.
Here’s how to fix the Valheim Incompatible Version by updating Game Server.
- First, go ahead and take a backup of your files because you don’t want to lose your hard-earned progress. So save the Valheim/savedata folder in a different location.
- Then you have to update your server by first downloading and installing SteamCMD.
- Go ahead and make a folder in the installation directory.
- Inside it, you have to make a file named update.bat.
- Open update.bat in notepad and paste the text shown: (SteamCMD directory) +login anonymous +force_install_dir (Valheim directory) +app_update 896660 validate +exit
- Basically what you have to do is first type the SteamCMD installation path and then the Valheim installation folder further ahead in the text.
- With that done, save the update.bat file and close it.
- Run the file and this will update the game server to the latest one.
- Bring back the Valheim/savedata folder back to the original folder of Valheim.
Since you are making changes in the game folders and files, make sure to have a back up of the game because if you lose it, it will be very frustrating.
After doing all of this, your game client version and game server version will be compatible and you won’t get the Valheim Incompatible Version error.
Don’t forget to level up in the game quickly by following the tips and tricks in Valheim wiki.