Users of Java edition need to know that there’s a Minecraft security bug that has a potential risk of compromising your computer. But don’t worry, this exploit has been taken care of. All you need to do now is update your game to a new patch so that you can safely use the game again. Here’s how to do it.
How to Fix Minecraft Java Edition Security Bug
Players need to follow these steps to fix the security vulnerability in Minecraft Java Edition.
- Close all instances of Minecraft Java Edition.
- Close the Launcher as well.
- Then, start the Launcher.
- This will download the latest patch of the game automatically.
- Once that is done, continue playing.
This is for those players who are not hosting their own server.
Minecraft Game Server Hosting
If you are hosting your very own Minecraft Java Edition server, then these are the steps you need to follow.
- Minecraft 1.18 players – If you are using version 1.18, upgrade to 1.18.1 if possible. But if that’s not possible then you need to complete the steps below for 1.17.
- Minecraft 1.17 players need to add the following JVM arguments to your startup command line:
- Minecraft 1.12-1.16.5 players – Download the file here to the working directory where your server is running. Then add these JVM arguments to your startup command line:
- Minecraft 1.7-1.11.2 users – Download the file here to the working directory where your server is running. Then add these JVM arguments to your startup command line:
- If you are using the Minecraft versions below 1.7, this security bug has not affected you.
How to Fix security bug with Modified Clients and Third-Party Launchers
If you are using third party launchers or modified clients, then you need to find out more on the social media pages of the providers. That’s because they are the ones who will give you the go-ahead in case the vulnerability is fixed and only then the game is risk-free to play. In case they have not given an update, contact them for more info or wait until they do.
That’s everything you need to know about the Minecraft Java Edition security bug fix. Once it’s all updated, you can enjoy the game and also check out our latest Minecraft guides to know some hidden tips and tricks.