Many Minecraft players wonder where to find and how to get the Amethyst Shards. If you are one of them, this guide is just for you. For unaware players, the Amethyst blocks were introduced in the 1.17 update called Caves and Cliffs. You can mine the shards from certain Amethyst blocks. Then, you can use them to craft items like Spyglass or Tinted Glass. To help you out, we will tell you how to farm these shards.
Where to Find Amethyst Shards in Minecraft
In Minecraft, players can find Amethyst Shards in the Amethyst Geodes. This geode structure forms underground between Sealevel and Bedrock (levels Y: -64 and Y: 30). The best way to find this structure is to keep an eye out for Smooth Basalt blocks while mining. They usually have huge cracks and you can find them underwater as well. Once you find them, break through the first layer and you’ll find calcite. Then, break the calcite layer to find the Amethyst blocks.
How to Get Amethyst Shards
Once you find the Geode structure, you can get the Amethyst Shards by breaking Amethyst Clusters. These clusters grow on Budding Amethyst blocks, which is different from the regular Amethyst blocks. You can differentiate them by the X-mark on their faces. The clusters have three stages of growth before developing into full-grown Amethyst Clusters. Make sure you avoid the small clusters as you’ll not get any shards from them. For every cluster, you have a chance to get 0 – 4 shards.
To farm Amethyst Shards, we recommend you use the Fortune enchantment on your Pickaxe. This will increase the drops after breaking a cluster. At the maximum level i.e. Fortune Enchantment Level 3, each cluster can drop 0 – 16 Amethyst shards.
Types of Amethyst
- Amethyst Block: Mineable with any pickaxe.
- Amethyst Bud: Will drop nothing when you mine it. It will eventually grow into Amethyst Clusters.
- Amethyst Cluster: It is a large crystal of Amethyst. Mineable with any pickaxe. It will also drop 4 Amethyst Shards when you mine it.
- Amethyst Shard: It is a drop from Amethyst Clusters. It is a component in crafting Spy Glass & Tinted Glass.
- Budding Amethyst Block: Will have a cross-like mark on each face. It will not drop anything when you mine it unless you use a Silk Touch Pickaxe.
This was all about how to get Amethyst Shards in Minecraft. Hopefully, this guide has helped you. You can also check out our other guides like How to Make a Lightning Rod in Minecraft.