Maps are a very important and useful item in Minecraft. They are used to help players get a bearing of their surroundings in the game. Maps in Minecraft have to be made by players. In this article, we will show you how to make a map in Minecraft.
How to Make a Map in Minecraft?
Lets first check the materials you will need to get started with the map-making process.
Materials Needed to Make a Map
8 x papers
1 x compass
- You can acquire paper by placing three sugarcanes in the vacant slots in the middle row of the crafting menu.
- You will need 4 iron ingots and 1 redstone dust to make a compass in Minecraft.
- Place these materials in the following order:
- Place an iron ingot in the second slot of the first row of the table.
- In the second row, place an iron ingot in the first slot, 1 redstone in the second slot and another iron ingot in the third slot.
- You will need to place an iron ingot in the second slot of the last row in the crafting table.
- Completing this process will give you a compass.
Now that we have our materials, we can proceed to make a map in Minecraft.
Making a Map in Minecraft
- You will need to open the crafting table to begin making a map.
- Once open, you will need to place 8 paper sheets and 1 compass in the 3×3 grid in the crafting table.
- If you’re using the Windows Edition or Pocket Edition of Minecraft, you will need 9 paper sheets instead of 8 to make a map.
- Now, make sure to place your materials in the 3×3 grid in the following order:
- In the uppermost row of the crafting table, fill all the three vacant slots with 1 sheet of paper each.
- Place 1 sheet of paper each in the first and third slots of the middle row. In the second slot, place a compass.
- Just like in the uppermost row, place 1 sheet of paper each in the three vacant slots.
- Upon successful placing of all the materials in this order, you will receive a map in the box to your right!
- Place your newly-made map in the inventory so that you never lose it.
How to Use a Map?
Now that you have made a map in Minecraft, lets learn how to use one.
As a useful tip, its better to create your map in a location that is near to your home in Minecraft. This will make it easier for you to find your way back home.
- To use a map, select an empty one from your hotbar.
Now, check out the controls for the map depending on your gaming platform and Minecraft edition:
|Pocket Edition||tap on the Create Map button|
|PS3 and PS4||L2 button|
|Windows 10 Edition||Right-click|
|Xbox 360 and Xbox One||LT button|
|Wii U||ZL button|
|Nintendo Switch||ZL button|
- By pressing the correct keys, the empty map in your hotbar will be replaced with a map that will display an area based on your current position.
- You will be able to see where you are in the map by moving your line of sight downwards.
- You will see your position highlighted by a white dot in the map.
- The map will display all major areas in your surroundings like water, trees, buildings, fences and grass.
That brings us to the end of this article. As you can see, making and using a map in Minecraft.
If you liked this article, check out this guide on how to show coordinates in Minecraft.