One of the side quests in Baldur’s Gate 3 is Help the Cursed Monk where you lift the curse of the spirit of the amulet. It is about you reuniting the spirit with its granddaughter. But things start to go south when you actually bring them together, as you get to know about the curse that will make you laugh forever. Since you are the one to reunite them, you end up with the choice of having to accept the curse or refuse it. So here is how you can help the spirit and what happens in both choices.
How to Complete Help the Cursed Monk in Baldur’s Gate 3 (Spirit of the Amulet)
To add this quest to your journal, you first need the Sentient Amulet that you can get at the Adamantine Forge. After you get the amulet, you will find that there is a Spirit inside of it. It will talk to you and will tell you its desire to be reunited with its granddaughter in Wyrm’s Crossing. Accept its request and you will get the quest. Now here is what you do:
- Go to the Open Hand Temple in Wyrm’s Crossing.
- Talk to the NPCs here about Shirra Clarwen. You will find out that she has been dead for years now.
- But you can use the hatch in the Kitchen to reach the crypt where she was buried.
- Make your way to her tomb and interact with it.
- As soon as you do that, the Spirit will come out of the Amulet.
- Interact with the purple Monk’s manifestation and it will now possess Shirra’s body.
- After a dialogue, the possessed Shirra will bring up who will take the curse and will ask “Shall it be – THOU?”
- Here you have two choices:
- Accept the curse: You can negate the curse’s negative effects by using your WISDOM, CONSTITUTION, Or ILLITHID & WISDOM, skill checks. If you are successful you get Tasha’s Hideous Laughter and no side effects. In case you fail the checks you end up with -2 Wisdom for your stats.
- Refuse the curse: Refusing the curse will trigger a fight. This way you do not get Tasha’s Hideous Laughter but can easily end the quest after defeating Shirra and other undead corpses in the tombs.
That’s it for how you can help the spirit of the amulet and complete the Cursed Monk quest in Baldur’s Gate 3. Be sure to check out our BG3 section for more help on other topics of this game.