So, you’ve used your Xbox controller for a long time and now the buttons are jammed? Don’t worry, you’re not alone and it happens more often than you’d think. Accumulated dust and dirt along with the constant usage (oil and sweat from your fingers/hands) can do that to your controller. In this article, we will take a look at how to fix the sticky button on your Xbox One or Series X|S controller and get it unstuck quickly.
How to Fix Sticky Button on Xbox One & Series X|S Controller?
Follow these steps to fix any sticky or jammed controller buttons.
Clean the Xbox Controller to fix Sticky Button Issue
- The first thing you should do is clean the controller.
- Rubbing alcohol and Q-tips will come to your rescue in this case.
- Unplug your controller first, take a cotton swab/Q-tips and dip it into a small quantity of the rubbing alcohol.
- Next, use the cotton swab to clean the area where the button is sticky. You will see the residue come off.
- Get into every nook and cranny (carefully) and then check if the button is functioning normally now or if it’s still jammed.
Open Up your Controller to fix Jammed Button
- Read further only if you know what you’re doing. That’s because this step involves opening up your controller with a pry tool and screwdrivers, so if something goes wrong, it will affect your warranty.
- In case your controller is old now and you don’t mind messing up, you can try this.
Check out this video by Gamenetics DIY that shows you the whole process. Make sure to read through the comments under the video to know more about what worked for users and what didn’t.
Repair the Xbox Controller
If you prefer to not open the controller up yourself, the best option is to visit a service center and get it repaired professionally. If it is under warranty, this is what you need to do asap. Now, in case the product is defective and unfixable, you may get a replacement. Just speak to Microsoft support and they will help you out. And if the warranty period is over, a new Xbox controller could be calling your name.
So, that’s basically what you can do if your Xbox One or Series X,S controller has sticky or jammed buttons. For more Xbox related guides, be sure to explore more on Gamer Tweak.