Discord users have been facing audio issues from time to time that need fixes and the one where they can’t hear anybody on their server while everyone can still hear them is among those issues. Discord has probably been the number one VOIP app preference for gamers since forever. Issues like these ruin the app experience for gamers however, we have found fixes for the same. Mentioned below, you’ll find some fixes for this audio error where you can’t hear anyone on Discord.
Why Can’t I Hear Anyone on Discord? (Fix)
To ensure you can hear everyone on Discord, you’ve got to ensure factors like the internet, hardware, as well as software, are all in optimal functioning condition. Additionally, device configurations and other smaller issues which take seconds to resolve could also be contributors to this issue. Meanwhile, To add to the issue, users have reported that while they can’t hear anyone over their earphones, the classic green indicator rings over chat heads still blink while someone talks. Let’s get to how we can find a fix to this issue.
Check your Internet connection
This is even indicated while using Discord. At the bottom left part of your screen, where your voice chat status shows- ensure the network status shows green and says “connected”.
Restart and check to see if the app prompts you to install an update. If it does, you’ve probably missed updating the app. Simply install the update and restart Discord. This could resolve your issue. Furthermore, you can hold down Ctrl+R to refresh Discord.
Open Discord in your Browser
Head to discordapp.com to use Discord in your browser. If the issue is resolved, it probably means there was an issue with the software. However if the issue persists, this is an indicator that something is wrong with the configurations, hardware, network, or maybe with Discord servers.
Properly Configure your Audio Settings and Devices
You can do this by heading to the settings menu.
- The settings icon is located right next to your username at the bottom left of the screen.
- Once you select settings, a list of options will appear.
- From here, locate “voice and video” which falls under app settings.
- Clicking on it will open up options to increase or decrease both input and output volumes.
- In addition to this, you have to ensure your output and input devices are selected correctly.
- If they’re not, try reinserting your headphones or headset back and try again.
- Additionally, do a mic test to ensure your voice is transmitting properly as input and that you can hear it clearly. This should resolve your error.
Enable Legacy Audio Subsystem
Discord has provided users with the option to fall back to the universally compatible legacy audio system in the scenario that the Discord audio subsystem and the device’s operating system’s audio subsystem aren’t compatible. To do this,
- Select Settings on your Discord and under app settings head to voice and video.
- Scroll down a bit until you see audio subsystem and a drop-down option list.
- From here, select “Legacy“.
- In the box that appears for confirmation, select okay.
- Now press escape. You’ll notice your issue has disappeared.
Check Discord’s volume in the volume Mixer Settings
This will help in checking if your volume is in the audible range.
- At the bottom right of your screen, right-click on the speaker icon and select open volume mixer.
- Side scroll until you see Discord’s icon.
- Check to see if both the output and input have audible volumes.
- Adjust the volumes according to your preference.
Verify if your output and input is correct in the sound settings
You can ensure your devices are in proper configurations.
- Right-click on the sound settings icon at the bottom right of your screen.
- From the options that appear, select Open Sound settings.
- Here you need to verify if your input and output devices are selected correctly. If not you can simply set it.
- If the issue still persists, consider running the troubleshoot option and this most likely will put an end to any error that was occurring.
Ensure your game/app/software isn’t preventing Discord from accessing your voice input and output
You can simply override this by launching Discord as administrator thereby assigning it all permissions.
Contact Discord Support
Reach out to Discord Support if the problem still persists despite all the above steps being followed.
These above fixes should put a definite end to the problems you face with respect to you not being able to hear anyone on Discord. We hope this guide was of assistance to you. If you like doing cool stuff while on the app, here’s a guide on using the Chip bot with commands on Discord.