Metroid Dread has a treat for the fans who have played their older games. In this game, you can fight Kraid, a boss that was always in previous games like Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Super Metroid. He is a huge foe that Samus has faced before and has to face again in this game. So in this boss battle guide let us take a look at how to defeat and beat Kraid in Metroid Dread.
How to Beat Kraid in Metroid Dread
To put it simply you have to shoot charged shots or missiles in Kraid’s mouth. This isn’t an easy feat as you will be barraged by various attacks from him. So let us break down this guide into two parts. These parts will include Kraid’s weakness in both his phases.
How to Beat Kraid Phase 1
- When Kraid closes his mouth you can open it with a missile or a charged shot as normal attacks won’t do him any damage.
- Kraid will often shoot three things Nails, Rocks, and Fireballs.
- You can destroy Nails by shooting at it. Rocks can also be destroyed similarly. Destroying both of these gives you missile and other pickups.
- Fireballs on the other hand you cannot destroy. So always dodge them.
- It is highly recommended to jump and shoot instead of diagonal shooting. As diagonal shots are difficult to connect.
- Another tip to remember is to prefer using charged shots over missiles. As missiles are essential in the second phase so it’s best if you save them for later.
Repeat the above phase till the animation plays where Kraid destroys the floor and drops Samus further below. Once this animation plays, you have beaten the first phase of Kraid.
How to Defeat Kraid Phase 2
In the second phase, you have to shoot at the infected hole-like area in Kraid’s belly. And eventually makes your way to the top to shoot at its face.
- From this infected hole, Kraid will shoot a purple fireball which spreads and disperses on the ground on both sides. Dodge and jump to avoid getting hit by this attack.
- Next Kraid will shoot three spikes from the holes in his body. These shots start from the bottom and move towards the top. Jump above the bottom spike but don’t stand on it. These spikes work like platforms. Just jump above the first one and the other two will automatically get dodged.
- If you do enough damage you will see Kraid cover the infected hole and launch three spikes towards Samus. Transform into a morph ball to dodge the three spikes at the same time.
- After the three spikes break you can see a blue lift-like platform appear on the leftmost wall. Grab on it as it takes you upward. Shoot a missile or a charged shot on Kraid’s face to open his mouth.
- Spam missiles or shots in his mouth as much as you can before falling back down. Kraid will shoot nails at you which you can destroy. If you do enough damage, Kraid will bring you down by swooping you with his hand. Try to fall before this attack is connected as this will deal you a lot of damage.
- Once you are back down, Kraid will shoot bouncing Rocks from his infected hole. Destroy them to get health and ammo. At times he will also shoot the above explained purple fireball, dodge it. When you have done enough damage he will repeat the three spikes attack.
- Repeat these steps until you beat him.
If you follow the above steps correctly you should be able to beat him. Defeating him is fairly easy if you can get his attack pattern memorized. With a little trial and error, you should beat him in no time.
You get the Diffusion Beam for beating Kraid.
That covers everything you need to know on how to defeat and kill Kraid in Metroid Dread. If you liked this guide be sure to check out our other guide on how to counter Emmi in Metroid Dread.