The recent launch of the Modern Warfare 2 has a plethora of new and unique gameplay elements. But being an online multiplayer game, it also has its fair share of different errors and bugs. If the players had a nickel for each time they faced the “Application has unexpectedly stopped working” message, they might have 50 cents. Jokes aside, it can get annoying to encounter this error message during pivotal times in MW2. Not to worry, check out our guide on how to fix the Modern Warfare (MW) 2 “Application has unexpectedly stopped working” error.
How to Fix the Application Has Unexpectedly Stopped Working in Modern Warfare (MW) 2
As mentioned earlier, there are several reasons to be prompted by this error message. There are some workarounds suggested by the players in the COD community.
So, here are some methods to resolve the Application has unexpectedly stopped working error in COD MW2:
Run Modern Warfare 2 as an Administrator
- Head over to the default file directory of COD Modern Warfare 2.
- You need to select and right-click on the COD MW II.exe file.
- Then, select the Run as Administrator option.
- Upon launching the game, check if you are still encountering the error message.
Update the latest Graphics Drivers
This error message can prompt due to outdated graphics drivers. You can head over to the official websites of NVIDIA and AMD to manually download the latest drivers. Once you have downloaded the latest graphics driver, restart your PC. Then, launch COD MW2 to check if it works out.
Scan & Repair Game Files
There’s a chance that some of your game files were corrupted or damaged while installing. If you are using the Battle.net launcher, follow the below steps:
- Launch the Battle.net launcher or client.
- Select the gear-shaped icon next to the Play button.
- From the drop-down section, select the Scan and repair option.
- Lastly, hit the Begin Scan option, to begin with.
The process is different for the players using the Steam launcher or client. So, follow the below steps if you are using Steam:
- Launch the Steam launcher or client.
- Head over to the Library and right-click on the COD Modern Warfare II.
- Then, choose the Properties option and hit the Local Files option located on your left pane.
- Lastly, select the Verify Integrity of the Game files option.
This process would re-download all the corrupted or damaged files. But the process can be a bit time-consuming. Once the repair or verification is complete, launch the game to check if the error persists.
Allow an App
Follow the below steps:
- Head to Windows settings and select the Privacy & Security tab. You can hit the Win+I shortcut to launch Windows Settings.
- Next, select the Open Windows Security option. And hit the Virus & threat protection option.
- Over there, select Manage Ransomware protection.
- Lastly, toggle the Controlled folder access to switch it on.
- If Windows security has blocked the MW2 game files, you need to allow these files using the Controlled folder access.
Disable Anti-Virus & Windows Firewall
Sometimes, Anti-viruses and Windows Firewall can interfere with your running programs. Although these programs keep you secure from malicious content, they can be the reason for this error message. So, disable these programs temporarily to check if it works out.
You need to disable all the overlays that might be conflicting or interfering with MW2. This includes the overlays for Steam, Discord, AMD Relieve, Razer Synapse, and more. So, disable these overlays while playing the MW2.
If none of the above workarounds resolve the error, we suggest submitting a ticket to Activision Support. They will revert and assist you with a suitable solution in some time.
That’s everything covered on how to fix the Application unexpectedly stopped working error in Modern Warfare 2. If you liked this guide, check out more guides on how to fix the Missing DLC Data Pack, how to fix Dev Error 356, and more COD Modern Warfare II Guides on our dedicated section right here on Gamer Tweak.