Valheim has given us one of the most beautiful procedural-generated maps in recent history. It has different vast biomes, including an Ocean biome. Part of your game is to explore your biomes, by sailing through the Ocean. But the winds might not in your favor. There are situations when we need to go somewhere on the map like a particular area, but the wind is blowing in the opposite direction. For situations like this is there a way to overcome the wind and move ahead? Read on to understand how to say against the wind in Valheim.
How to Sail Against Wind in Valheim?
To sail against the wind in Valheim, you can use the zigzag maneuvering called Beating. In beating, you need to maneuver your boat on a zigzag course to make move ahead in the opposite direction to that in which the wind is blowing. You need to sail as close to the wind as possible. This is known as close-hauled. This lets your boat travel diagonally to the upwind.
To put it in a simple step by step way, you need to:
- First, release your full sail. Press W-key 3 times.
- If the wind direction is opposite to your boat, you have to sail against the wind.
- Turn your boat to the closest area outside the no-sail zone.
- No-sail zone is the gray area on the right side icon showing wind direction.
- Turn 45 degrees on each side when you are facing the wind to avoid upwind.
- Use this zigzag maneuver, so you may avoid getting stuck in the no-sail zone.
- Use this method to reach your destination easily.
The best strategy here is to stay on a favorable angle as much as possible, to shorten the time you need to sail upwind. Also since the wind direction in Valheim always keeps changing, you need to react fast according to these changes. Here’s a video demonstration of sailing against the wind:
That’s everything you need to know about how to sail against the wind in Valheim. While you’re here, get more hidden secrets in our Valheim Wiki Guide. Also, check out more tips & tricks that will help you level up your gameplay in our Valheim guides.