Even though the ending of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 was satisfying with the end of both Kraven and Venom, the post-credit scenes left many players wondering what is in the future for their beloved webslinger. Like previous games, Spider-Man 2 shows many scenes to set up important future plot points in the franchise. This article will explain everything that happens in the Spiderman 2 ending.
SPOILER ALERT: This article discusses major plot points!
Spiderman 2 Ending Explained
Spider-Man 2 ending includes many important plot elements like Peter Parker’s temporary retirement, the introduction of Cindy Moon, the rise of the Green Goblin, and the return of a new Sinister Six and Carnage. Peter Parker’s temporary retirement also explains why the next game will continue Miles’ story, a sequel to Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, instead of Marvel’s Spider-Man 3.
The ending can be divided into three parts: The ending aftermath scene, mid-credits scene, and post-credits scene.
Spiderman 2 Ending Aftermath Scene
- Harry Osborn is saved from Venom, but he falls into a coma. His father, Norman Osborn, calls his team to get “G-serum” ready, a substance synonymous with the infamous Goblin Formula used by Norman Osborn in comics and live-action adaptations to transform into the Green Goblin.
- Mary Jane Watson decides to move with Peter to a new home, beginning a fresh chapter in their relationship. She also quits her job at the Daily Bugle, boldly stepping towards a career as a podcaster.
- Peter Parker dedicates his efforts to restoring the Emily-May Foundation, Harry’s charity dedicated to helping and ‘healing’ the people in need.
- Peter Parker and Mary Jane decide to focus on their life together, prompting Peter to retire his mantle as Spider-Man temporarily.
- With Peter temporarily stepping back from the role, Miles Morales becomes New York City’s sole Spider-Man.
Spiderman 2 Mid-Credits Scene
- Norman Osborn, deeply affected by his son’s current state, visits Otto Octavius in super-maximum security prison, The Raft. Osborn seeks out Octavius to demand the secret identities of the Spider-Men, as he holds them responsible for Harry’s condition. After enjoying Osborn’s pain, Octavius tells Osborn he is writing the final chapter.
Spiderman 2 Post-Credits Scene
- Miles and Rio were preparing dinner when Hailey arrived. As they are in Miles’ room, they share a passionate kiss. But their intimate moment was interrupted by a knock on the door. Rio opened it to find her boyfriend, Albert Moon, and his daughter, Cindy Moon, standing there. Cindy waved back as the scene faded to black.
Cindy Moon: A New Spider-Hero
Cindy Moon is a new character in Marvel’s Spider-Man video game universe, but she’s already popular with comic book fans. In the comics, Cindy was bitten by the same radioactive spider that bit Peter Parker, and she developed similar spider powers. However, Cindy’s mentor, Ezekiel Sims, kept her hidden for years to protect her from a mysterious threat (Morlun).
In the post-credits scene of Spider-Man 2, we meet Cindy Moon for the first time. She’s introduced as the daughter of Miles’ mother’s new boyfriend. This hints that Cindy will become the superhero Silk in future games.
The first ending cutscene shows us a “residential loan application” in Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker’s name. This is the first clue that Peter is ready to settle down with MJ.
Rise of Green Goblin
The ending of Spider-Man 2 also teases the return of the iconic Spider-Man villain: the Green Goblin. In the game, the G-serum is revealed to be completed by Norman Osborn’s team due to his son’s condition. There is also a chance Harry could become Green Goblin, but he was considering what we saw in the post-credit cutscene; it will be Norman who becomes the Green Goblin.
The Green Goblin will become more powerful and dangerous than any enemies Spiman-man faced before. And him teaming up with Otto Octavius means a wide massive assault, and it will be up to Peter Parker and Miles Morales to stop him.
Spider-Man: Miles Morales Sequel Likely Before Spider-Man 3
In an interview, Insomniac Games said they want to make more Miles Morales games. This suggests Insomniac is considering developing a sequel to Spider-Man: Miles Morales. Of course, there is no guarantee of a Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales sequel before Marvel’s Spider-Man 3. However, here are potential reasons why a Miles Morales sequel might come before Spider-Man 3:
- To give Miles more time to develop as a character. Miles is still a relatively new character, even though he’s been around for over a decade. A sequel to his game could give him more time to develop as a character, both personally and superheroically.
- To explore new ideas and stories. A Miles Morales sequel could allow Insomniac to explore new ideas and story elements they couldn’t tell in a Spider-Man 2 game. This could include introducing new villains, exploring more on villains like Chemeleon, or even venturing into the multiverse as teased in Spider-Man 2.
- To build excitement for Spider-Man 3. A Miles Morales sequel could help to build excitement for Spider-Man 3 by introducing new characters and storylines that will be continued in the third game. This could also help to keep fans engaged in the Spider-Man franchise between the release of Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3.
Ultimately, whether or not a Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales sequel comes before Marvel’s Spider-Man 3 is up to Insomniac Games and Sony Interactive Entertainment. However, the reasons listed above suggest that it is a possibility.
That’s all for our Spider-man 2 ending explained article. While you are here, check out more topics we have covered in our Spider-Man 2 category.