While playing Elden Ring it will be useful to know the location of your save file. FromSoftware games have been notorious for save files getting corrupting . The worst thing is you lose your hours of progress and considering the difficulty of these games you might not even feel like going through the effort of playing again from the start. So in this guide let us check the save file location of Elden Ring and how to create its backup.
Elden Ring Save File Location
You can find your save files in the Steam ID folder under the Elden Ring folder. It isn’t directly recognizable by that name as it isn’t called Steam ID rather is a string of numbers. Typically you should find it here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\EldenRing\string of your steam id\
- Press the Windows key and search for File Explorer.
- Next, click on this PC and go to your C drive.
- Here, click on the Users folder and then go to your user profile folder.
- Now, go to the AppData folder. If you don’t see it then you don’t have the hidden items option enabled. Click on View and check the Hidden Items option. You should now be able to see the AppData folder.
- All that is left is to go to Roaming and then the Elden Ring folder.
- Here you can find your Steam ID folder. This should be a 17-digit folder. For example, the path should look something like this: C:\Users\GamerTweak\AppData\Roaming\EldenRing\12345678909876543\
- The two files with the sl2 extension are the save files you are looking for.
How to Backup your Save File
- Go to the location explained above.
- Copy the three files you find there.
- Create a new folder and paste the files here.
The catch is you will have to back up your files after every play session to ensure you have the latest save. If you ever get the save file corrupted error simply copy these backup files and paste them into the original save location folder.
That covers this guide where to find the Save File location for Elden Ring and how to back it up. I suggest you check out our Elden Ring section if you need help on more such topics.