Every online game launch comes with its teething issues – most prominently, server issues. Many are encountering the Overwatch 2 Player is in a Different Version of Overwatch error message and are curious to know why this strange issue is coming up. Here are the reasons and potential fixes to get you back to playing the game with your friends.
How to Fix Player is in a Different Version of Overwatch Error in OW2?
Due to this error, you will not be able to invite friends to OW2. There are a couple reasons why this is happening:
- You or your friend is not on the latest patch of Overwatch 2. Update the game to ensure that both are playing on the same version.
- Another reason is that it could be a bug because many players report that the client versions are the same, yet this issue occurs. Make sure to send a bug report here.
How to Update OW2
- PC players can open up the Battle.net client and find the Gear icon and check for updates from there.
- PS players need to press the Options button on the controller and check for game updates.
- Xbox players need to open the My Games and Apps section > find Overwatch 2 > More Options > Manage Games and Add Ons > choose Updates.
- Nintendo Switch players need to press the + button on the console > Software Update > Via the Internet.
As per Stonefree’s message on the Blizzard forum, here’s how they were able to join a custom game with a friend.
- Unfriend your friend and then invite them using Recent Players. As of now, this message has two replies confirming that this works.
- Apart from this workaround, you can also try restarting the game which may potentially solve the bug.
That’s everything about the Player is in a Different Version of Overwatch 2 error and how to solve it. While you are here, don’t forget to find out what are souvenirs in OW2. And for more related to this game, head over to our Overwatch 2 guides.