The popularity of Oculus Quest 2 has shot up in recent times since many have gifted it to others during the holiday season. Now, there’s another platform that’s getting super popular and that’s Discord, which brings us to the question – how to get Discord on Oculus Quest 2? Here’s everything you need to know.
How to Get Discord on Oculus Quest 2?
Can you download and get Discord as standalone app on Oculus Quest 2? The answer is no. But there are two workarounds to get and run Discord on Oculus Quest 2. They are:
- Using Discord via Virtual Desktop
- Getting Discord by using SideQuest
Even though there is no official Discord app available on the Oculus Store, we cannot rule it out if it will make its way officially soon. If Facebook Technologies and Discord Inc ever decide to work together, only then users can expect to get the app on Oculus Quest 2. But at this point, it seems unlikely, given the fact FaceBook offers almost all the features of Discord, and would mot allow Discord to replace them directly.
Using Discord via Virtual Desktop
There is a workaround that you can follow to use the mic and talk to other people and that’s through the Virtual Desktop. The Virtual Desktop app is available on Oculus.com. Basically, with the Virtual Desktop, you can connect wirelessly to your PC. And then you can search the web and thereby access Discord.com. Plus, you can also play games and watch movies!
Here are some of the features:
- From the Videos tab, you can download or stream regular/180/360 videos straight from your PC.
- It supports a majority of PCs and laptops that have Windows 10 or macOS Mojave.
- Microphone passthrough option is also available.
- PCVR game streaming will need a VR Ready computer that has Windows 10.
If all of this is exactly what you want, you can download it from here.
Getting Discord by using SideQuest
There’s another way and that’s to download the Discord apk and use SideQuest.
- Connect your headset and click on the folder icon with a down arrow at the top right of the SideQuest screen.
- Now, select the APK from your downloads.
- Let it install.
- Now, Search Package and make sure that Discord is showing up there.
- Switch to your headset > under Apps, select Unknown Sources > find Discord.
- Login to your account and then allow Discord to access the microphone.
- Enable the overlay if you’d like.
- And this is how you can use Discord on Oculus Quest 2 (but at your own risk).
That’s everything about using Discord VR. If you are curious to know how to play Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2, how to charge the headset & controllers as well as how to cast to Roku TV, we’ve got you covered.