Mario Kart 64 is a classic game for the Nintendo 64. But while it was originally for the now obsolete console, you will be able to play this game on your Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack brings MK64 along with other classics from N64. But our focus, for now, is Mario Kart 64. So let us take a look at Mario Kart 64 Cheats.
All Mario Kart 64 Cheats
Before we get into the list it is important to know that Nintendo might patch these glitches and exploits for the Switch version. So even if you can’t use these cheats on your Nintendo Switch, these are sure to work for your N64. So now let us take a look at the Shortcuts and Secrets you can use to Cheat in Mario Kart 64.
Mario Kart 64 Shortcuts
- Rainbow Road: When the race starts get a boost by hitting the gas just before the 3rd beep. When you reach the hill turn left and press jump to fly off the road. If you do everything right you will complete 1/3rd amount of the track.
- Bowser’s Castle: Jump over the stairs for extra speed.
- DK Jungle Park: When you exit the tunnel jump into the wall on the left side. Time your jump angle properly to avoid going too left or too right. Your goal is to try falling behind the wall in the black space. The trick will work if Latiku places you back in the tunnel. Because when you cross the finish line your lap counter should increase by an extra lap.
- Toad’s Turnpike: Before you reach the crossroads perform a mini turbo slide and jump on the rail on right. And a second before the Latiku puts you down press and hold the A+B button. Next, you again need to go on right and jump on the rail, the moment you hit the ground. You go through the ground and will either land in water, land on the road, or won’t make it. If you do the trick correctly you should land in water which leads to the shortcut that cuts almost half the track.
- Kalimari Desert: This trick requires you to have a Super Star. Follow the entrance of the train tunnel by turning left from the second crossing. Just before you enter the tunnel use the Super Star and your lap counter will increase by one lap.
- Choco Mountain: In 150cc there is a road before the big loop. You have to perform a powerslide to jump over the wall. This move if done correctly will save you around 10 seconds.
Mario Kart 64 Secrets
- Castle from Mario 64: There is a yellow road on the right, after the big jump on the Royal Raceway. This road leads you to the Castle from Mario 64.
- Mirror Mode: Win the Gold cup in all 150cc events to unlock the Mirror mode.
- Frappe Snowland Lap Skip: The moment the race starts, do a U-turn and keep driving. When you reach the end of the bridge, jump off the right side of the bridge on snow without hitting the road. The Latiku will pick you up and place you on the bridge. If you do the trick right the Latiku will put you down before the finish line. Cross it to complete the lap.
- Use Items as Shield: You can use any weapon item as a shield by pressing Z.
- Mega Jump: To jump over the head of the opponent driver in front of you, use a Turbo boost just when a driver is in front of you.
That covers this guide on Mario Kart 64 Cheats. If you liked this list of cheats, be sure to check out our other guide on how to play N64 games on your Nintendo Switch.