That moment when you get drifting on your controller can be a stressful and frustrating one. Games are no fun when you get movement in a direction that you did not input, but happened anyway. Is this the beginning of the end or is there something you can do to save the controller? Here’s how to fix drift on your PS4 and PS5 controller.
How to Fix PS4 or PS5 Controller Analog Stick Drift?
Try the following steps to potentially fix the controller drift issue so that you can start playing your favorite games exactly how you want to play them.
- Turn off your controller and clean it. Any dirt or grime that may have lodged under the thumbsticks needs to be removed from every side and direction.
- Turn off the controller and press the Reset button which is present at the back of it.
You will need a little pin to press the button. Make sure to press and hold it for some time and leave it. Then, connect it to the PS4 with a cable and turn it on. Once the pairing is done, you can try playing the game again to see if the error persists.
- If the above steps don’t work, you will have to get it repaired.
- Lastly, if repairing is not an option, the only thing to do is get a new one. In case it is still under warranty, you can easily get a replacement from Sony.
Now, there’s also something else you can do and that is to disassemble the PS4/PS5 controller but one needs to be very careful. If you know what you are doing and won’t accidentally damage a part of the controller, go ahead and try it out (at your own risk).
What’s the Cause behind my Controller Analog Stick Drift issue?
There are multiple things that could be the reason behind the drift issue. It’s crucial to get it fixed as soon as possible otherwise the problem may increase with time.
- There could be dust or dirt under the analog sticks which get collected and then cause controller drift.
- In case your controller fell down hard and got damaged, it may have impacted the sticks which caused the drift.
- If your PS4 controller is pretty old and has seen a lot of use over time, it could cause this issue.
So, this is basically what you can do to fix the PS4 and PS5 controller analog stick drift issue. For more troubleshooting tips, error fixes and more, stay with Gamer Tweak!