The recent release of the open beta of COD Modern Warfare (MW) 2’s has players from all the supported platforms enjoying it. But being in a Beta phase, there are plenty of issues and bugs as you play MW 2. One of these has players waiting on the update screen for endless hours. While players wait for the game to update, it takes time before it crashes and restarts. Not to worry, here’s our guide on how to fix the COD Modern Warfare MW 2 “checking for update” issue.
How to fix the COD Modern Warfare (MW) 2 Checking for Update Issue
Similar to most COD games, MW 2 also runs an update check for new patches or content. But this can be annoying if it doesn’t get past that.
So, here are some potential methods to resolve this issue.
Restarting Call Of Duty MW 2 & Device
This is one of the most classic methods to resolve issues.
- So, exit the game and launch it again to check if you are still encountering these issues.
- If you are still facing this issue, we suggest restarting your PC or console.
- Then, launch the game to check if the problem persists.
Check Internet Connection
- You can encounter these issues due to technical connection issues. So, we suggest checking your internet connection.
- If you are using a wireless connection, you can reset your Router to resolve network issues.
- We suggest using wired Ethernet for a seamless internet connection.
Delete & Reinstall COD MW 2
This is a potential workaround suggested by a Reddit user, DreamCatcherFilmsx3. It potentially worked out for several players in the community.
Follow the below steps:
- Head over to the file directory of COD. For Steam players, the default directory will be as follows: Local Disk > Program Files (x86) > steam > steamapps > common > Call of Duty Modern Warfare II Beta.
- Then, delete the COD-related files and head to the Steam launcher or client.
- Head to your Games Library and right-click on the COD Modern Warfare 2.
- Then, select the Uninstall option.
- Finally, install it again and launch COD MW II to check if you are stuck at the “checking for update” screen.
This should hopefully resolve these issues. But if it doesn’t you can head to the Activision Support Page for more assistance.
That’s everything covered about how to fix the COD Modern Warfare (MW) 2 “checking for update” issue. If you liked this guide, check out our guides on how killstreaks and scorestreaks work, how to get proximity mine, and more on our dedicated section for COD Modern Warfare II right here on Gamer Tweak.