It’s been more than a decade since Dragon Age Origins was released and it is still played by many players. But as the game gets older, harder it becomes to maintain the compatibility. Players have been complaining that DOA has been crashing constantly. With some workarounds, players have managed to tone down their settings to run the game. So, here’s our guide on how to fix the Dragon Age Origins keeps on crashing problem.
How to Fix Dragon Age Origins Keeps on Crashing?
Before we get into the potential fixes, here are the system requirements to run Dragon Age Origins:
- DirectX: DirectX November 2007.
- Graphics: ATI Radeon X850 256MB or NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater.
- Hard Drive: 20 GB HD space.
- Memory: 1GB (1.5 GB on Microsoft Vista or Windows 7).
- Processor: At least Intel Core 2 Single 1.6 GHz or AMD 64 2.0 GHz processor.
Mentioned below are some fixes to resolve the crashing problem
Lower in-game settings
As DOA was released in 2009, it is quite understandable for the game to have some glitches and bugs. It was reported by some players that tweaking their video settings helped solve the problem.
Follow these steps:
- Head over to the Options.
- Go to the Video Tab.
- Change the settings to the lowest graphics under Detail settings.
Update your Graphics drivers
Follow these steps to update your graphics driver:
- Hit the Start button and search Device Manager.
- Select it and then expand the Display adapters option.
- Then, Right-click on the graphics driver and select the update the driver option.
Use DirectX version 9
- Launch the Steam application and head over to its Library.
- Right-click on the Dragon Age Origins and select the properties option.
- Type -dx9 under the Launch options for advanced users.
This should hopefully stop the crashing issue. If not, follow our next method.
- Launch Steam and go to the Library.
- Then, right-click on Dragon Age Origins and select the properties option.
- Select the Local Files in the left pane.
- Click on Verify the integrity of game files.
If your files are corrupted, this method will re-download all the files. If it did not solve the problem, follow the next method to resolve the issue.
Run compatibility mode
As mentioned, DOA is an old game and hence there might be some issues in running it. So, you need to run it in Compatibility mode. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Dragon Age Origins file and go to its properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and check the mark on the compatibility mode.
- Then, apply the settings to save the settings.
- Launch the game to check if it is still crashing.
That’s all on how to fix the Dragon Age origins keeps on crashing error. If you liked this guide, make sure to check out more Video Gaming Guides right here on Gamer Tweak.