Are you having Discord won’t open issue? If ‘YES’ then this guide will explain how you easily fix Discord won’t open error. There are thousands of people are finding it hard to open the Discord as it poses a lot of problems. Even the developers of Discord have not discovered the cause behind it yet.
We have compiled a list of multiple ways to fix Discord won’t ope bug. Sadly, as the root of the issue is still not known, we can’t say for sure which one method will work for you. Here are some fixes that you should what it Discord won’t open.
Close All Discord Services & Relaunch
Sometimes, a previous Discord session is not closed properly, leaving it more or less open in the background. If that’s the case, you will not be able to relaunch the app. In order to solve this issue, you need to close any lingering service linked to Discord. This step is highly recommended for any kind of the following fixes.
- Type Ctrl + Alt + Del on the keyboard.
- You will have to select ”Task Manager” from the blue screen-backed options appearing on the screen.
- In the Task Manager window, you need to find and click on Discord among the listed services under ”Apps.”
- Click on the ”End Task” button appearing in the bottom right-hand corner of the Task Manager window.
- Wait for the service to terminate and then reopen Discord from the desktop icon or the Windows Start menu, depending on how you have it set up.
- Before launching Discord, restarting the PC and Windows is highly recommended.
Set Windows Date/Time To Automatic
This might be strange or quite basic but it worked for a lot of people. Let me tell you that set date and time manually might interfere with Discord opening for reasons that are entirely unknown to many. Here are some steps to set Windows Date/Time automatically.
- Right-click on the digital time in the bottom right of the Windows task menu and select ”Adjust date/time.”
- In the ”Date & time” window, make sure the ”Set time automatically” option is toggled to on.
- Restart the PC and launch Discord.
Make sure you do not have any VPN installed on your Windows. Disabling any proxies in your connection to an ISP is the best way to clear out the piping for Discord to open properly. Here are some steps to follow:
- Click on the Windows start menu and search for ‘Control Panel’
- When you open ‘Control Panel’, you will see many options but you will have to click on ”Network and Internet”
- Now, you need to click on ‘Internet Options’
- When you click on ”Internet Properties”, a new window will appear on the screen.
- You will have to click on the ”Connections” tab among the options running vertically along the top of the screen.
- Under the ”Local Area Network (LAN) Settings” section, click on ”LAN Settings”.
- Once the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings appears on the screen, find the ”Proxy server” section and ensure the ”Use a proxy server for your LAN” option is unticked.
- Click on the”Ok” button and then once more in the ”Internet Properties” window.
- Launch Discord.
Having Malware or corrupted files on Windows could also be a reason why Discord is not opening correctly. Make sure you have installed Malwarebytes, a known program to the Discord not opening problem. If you have not installed Malwarebytes on your Windows yet, follow these steps to do so:
- Download and Install Malwarebytes.
- Launch the program, tracking down any unsuspected trojans or other malware threats and remove them as instructed.
- Run your antivirus software and do a complete scanning. Follow instructions to remove any suspected threats.
- Launch Discord.
Uninstall & Reinstall Discord
Uninstalling and re-installing Discord is the best and most effective way to fix Discord not opening issue. If none of the above-mentioned fixes works for you, you must try this.
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu and click on ”Settings”.
- In the Windows Settings window, click on ”Apps”, the sixth icon in the list.
- Open Apps section and find the entry for Discord and click on it.
- In the expanded contextual menu, click on ”Uninstall”.
- You can also re-install it through Control Panel.
In order to re-install Discord, you need to remove all temporary Discord data by rinsing out the AppData folder. Apart from uninstalling the app, you can also clear the AppData Discord folder, it this fixes the Discord not opening issue.
Don’t know how to clear the AppData, follow these simple steps:
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu and select ”Run” from the drop-down options.
- Type ”%appdata%” into the search field and click on ”Ok”.
- Find ”Discord” among the list of files and right-click.
- From the contextual drop-down menu, click on delete.
- You may also want to do the same for the %localappdata% folder.
How to reinstall Discord:
Once everything is done as we said above, you simply need to visit the official website to download Discord software.
- When you visit Discord.com, You will see two options – Download For Windows and Open Discord in Your Browser.
- You need to click on Download For Windows.
- When prompted, click on ”Save File”.
- Once the downloading process is completed, double click on the ”Discord Setup” executable file and follow the instructions provided by the installation wizard.
- When complete, launch Discord.
There is one more solution to fix Discord not opening properly and wherein you will have to flush out the DNS settings on the PC to launch Discord. Since Discord is an Internet-based software, you might need to encounter connection issues that are instantly ironed out by following these steps:
- Make sure to close all instance od Discord and its associated service via Task Manager.
- Right-click on the Windows and Start menu and select ”Run” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Type ”ipconfig/flushdns” into the search field and click on ”Run”. Windows will automatically clear out the DNS for you.
- When it is done, relaunch Discord.
That’s all you need to know to fix Discord not opening problem. If you are still facing the same issue, do let us know in the comment section below.