Garm can be a particularly hard boss to defeat in God of War Ragnarok. During the fight, it jumps around quite frequently, while randomly doing projectile attacks, hence it can take a lot of time to eliminate it. But there are some tricks that help you attack it more and faster. So in this guide check out how to beat Garm in God of War Ragnarok.
How to Defeat Garm in God of War Ragnarok
You can Defeat Garm by having Atreus put the soul of Fenrir in it. This is what you need to do in its last phase. For the first phase, you need to deplete its health by dodging several of its attacks. So here is the breakdown of its moves in both phases and how to counter them.
During the first Phase Garm uses the following attacks:
- Ice shockwaves: Garm will stand on its hind legs and pound its forelegs on the ground. This will send a big shockwave in the direction of Kratos. You can dodge this attack by running or rolling to either side or by parrying it.
- Bite attack: This is a move that you cannot block. You can also see it is indicated by a red ring. Wait for Garm to lunge at you and roll to either side just before it can bite you to dodge it.
- Multiple bite attacks: These attacks will be indicated by a yellow ring. You can parry these attacks or block them. Either parry it and launch your counterattacks or block them all and attack after it is done with its moves.
- Chain strike: Garm will whip its chain at Kratos. You cannot block or parry it. Wait for the chain to get close then roll away at the last second to dodge it. Throw your Leviathan Axe at it to freeze it. You can then pull this chain to stun and pull Garm closer to you. Unleash all your attacks at Garm before it gets back on its feet. As you lower its health, Garm will do multiple of these chain whips before it lands in one place. During those attacks dodge all and wait until you can freeze it.
- Ice Projectiles: Near the end of its health. Garm will run away and climb on an ice platform and shoot ice projectiles at Kratos. Since Garm is out of your reach you should dodge its projectiles until it comes down back to fight.
An important thing you can do during this fight is throw your spear at the golden shackles at its legs and neck. Once it hits the spot make your spear explode. But only do these attacks if you are confident with your aim and speed. Garm is quite fast, so if you are slow with your targeting it will unleash its next attack while you are aiming.
The best way to deplete its health is by stun-pulling its chain and unleashing your attacks or attacking when its face is closer to you during its bite attacks.
After Garm’s health reaches zero you will play a quick time event and it will show Kratos and Atreus defeating Garm. But it isn’t dead yet. After you progress a bit, Garm will be back for its second phase.
In the second phase Garm, it will use all of the same moves as in its first phase. You need to deplete its health to bring it near zero. Then Garm will regenerate its health to full. But this time Atreus will tell you he has a plan. For the final time, deplete Garm’s health or try to stun it. Once it is down. Rush towards its neck and press R3. Now repeatedly press Circle and help Atreus climb its back. Once Atreus stabs it with his knife and casts his spell. Garm will calm down and will have the soul of Fenrir in it.
That covers this guide on how to beat Garm in God of War Ragnarok. Since you like playing this game be sure to check our other guides for it in our GoW Ragnarok Wiki.