Unlike traditional text games with pre-written content, AI Dungeon can generate unlimited storylines and content. AI Dungeon was released on December 5, 2019, for Browser in Windows, Linux & macOS. The game released both Android and iOS versions on December 17 the same year. The game uses AI to generate an unlimited amount of situations, quests, and more content. You can choose from many of the premade worlds and scenarios. Or you can even create your own custom story and game setting. Here’s how to play AI Dungeon and how it works.
How to play AI Dungeon?
AI Dungeon is a full text-based smart adventure game that can by enjoyed players of all ages. If you never played any text adventure game before, you might be confused by its UI. The game is pretty easy to play. All you have to do is to type in what you will do when you are presented with a given situation. To play the AI Dungeon you can select New Game and select from the following options:
- Worlds – Pre-made worlds with different story settings and content.
- Prompts – Where you can pick a setting and start playing.
- Survival – Premium Feature, currently in BETA stage, at the time of writing this article.
- Multiplayer – Play the scenarios with another player.
- Featured Scenarios – Created by users and given to the community to enjoy.
Three main interaction methods can be selected from settings to interact with game AI are as below:
- Do: You can give any action followed by a verb, allowing you to create unlimited choices in the game.
- Say: You can type in any dialog sentences, allowing you to communicate with game characters.
- Story: You can create any situations describing something that will happen in the story, or even tell AI situations for future story events.
How Does AI Dungeon Work?
AI Dungeon was designed by Nick Walton, this first version is now known as AI Dungeon Classic. He was inspired by Dungeons & Dragons with all its freedom of choices and quests. He used an early version of the GPT-2, allowing it to create and generate its content as the players progressed through the story.
AI Dungeon 2 was released on a new version of GPT-2. Walton started his development and named it Latitude. Walton took the position of Latitude’s CTO. In July 2020 Latitude released a premium Dragon model based on GPT-3 model. GPT-3 is one of the most powerful AI models available right now. This allowed the new version of AI Dungeon to create more storylines which were not possible before.
So to conclude, AI Dungeon is one of the most powerful and adaptive text adventure games with both single-player and multiplayer options. It will have any of the text input you add to the storyline and generate content related to that using Do, Say, and Story text options as mentioned above. The game is available in both android, and iOS, and can also be played in any web browser in any OS.
If you are a fan of text-based adventure games, check out Bitlife and our guides on how to live the best life in it.